Monday, February 23, 2009

Stray Thoughts

  • I used to watch the Oscars. For some reason I thought I cared.... I don't anymore
  • It's funny how people respond to a sermon that references both Foreigner and Boston songs ("I Want to Know What Love Is" and "More than a Feeling"). Even funnier: I didn't write those two references in the manuscript, and they came out ad lib.

  • As a member reminded me yesterday, theology goes astray when it all hangs on one word. Sic et non. Tao, if you will. Tradition even?

  • I've been having dreams in German lately. I haven't spoken it regularly since 1998. The German in my dreams is lousy.

  • Good writing is clear writing. Write what you want it to mean. Humans naturally bob and weave. It goes back to the Garden. Be direct.

  • I have to check the weather for the next non-windy day before Wednesday. It's hard to burn ashes in 30 mph sustained winds. Welcome to Oklahoma.

  • My wife chuckled when I said in Bible study, "If you want to have a good Lent..." It does sound funny.

1 comments :

  1. Dixie said...

    Good writing is clear writing. Write what you want it to mean. Humans naturally bob and weave. It goes back to the Garden.

    LOL...so Sister Margaret Joseph was right...bad writing IS a sin!!! Rats...I am in trouble.

    About the Oscars...I agree, haven't watched in 10 years or so.

    About the one word thing...wouldn't the Lutherans say all theology is Christ? That's one word.

    About dreaming in German...oh, I speak GREAT German in my dreams, I presume better German than I speak after too many beers--which is the only other time I speak it! ;)