Monday, October 20, 2008

Status Update

God willing, the series on the Sayings of the Desert Fathers, taken from The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (Cistercian studies 59), resumes later today. I've got some edifying sayings picked out and ready to be typed up.

While I'm in a creative lull here, I hold out hope that I'll have more to blog soon. Thank you, dear readers, for your patience thus far.

Also, please note the badge over in the sidebar. Yes, I'm becoming a NaNoWriMo participant. I've toyed with writing since I was a toddler, dictating stories to my patient mother, but now I'm taking the plunge and hope to write 50 000 words during the thirty days of November. The point of the exercise is simply completion-moving from the One Day novelist ("One day I'll write a novel") to actually doing it. The goal is not necessarily quality, but simply slogging through the thing during the month. Normally, I would keep this side of my life close to my chest, but the FAQ tells us to broadcast our commitment far and wide. Public embarassment, they say, is always a reliable muse.

I need to find a few hours every day to work on this, and that is the biggest impediment right now. It looks like I'll be getting up very early or staying up very late for the next month...

2 comments :

  1. Rev. Alan Kornacki, Jr. said...

    Congratulations on joining the NaNo movement. I participated last year, making the 50,000 word goal on the last day of November with about 12 hours to spare. I haven't decided if I'm doing it this year, but it won't be a novel in the strictest sense of the word if I do decide to participate this year.

  2. Rev. Eric J Brown said...

    You know, I might have to do that myself this year. . . I always forget about it until after around a week in November. I shall have to ponder it myself.