Monday, June 16, 2008

New Gadget

I've been noticing some hand pain after typing, some of it related to poor form. So I got an ergonomic keyboard last week and am slowly breaking it in. I immediately noticed that my desk is too high, now that my hands are in the right place. I also realized that my touch-typing technique was all wrong. My right hand was usually over too far, and I used the wrong hand for "Y". But the hand pain is gone.

But getting used to this is taking a little longer than I thought it would.

3 comments :

  1. Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

    I considered an ergonomic keyboard, but I'd heard reports that once you went ergonomic you couldn't type on any other keyboards...can you take it with you? :)

  2. Anonymous said...

    The ergo keyboards are awesome, and yes, you can go back to a regular one, actually typing better! I've used one for years, play piano and organ and have no hand pain. I would strongly encourage it and once you are used to it, you won't want to go back.

    A lurker!

  3. Tim Kuehn said...

    I use a keyboard for my full time job, and used to go home in pain, with my wrists cracking, etc. I went to an ergo keyboard, and never went back.

    Also, not all ergo keyboards are made the same - it may be worth your while to check out ergo keyboards from other manufacturers.

    Here's one of my favorites:
    http://www.ergodirect.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=122

    All the best!