Tuesday, March 24, 2009

45,000 People is Still a Small Town

We went to Mikayla's 7th grad band concert tonight. When we started down a row in the auditorium, we realize the nurse who gives Elli her allergy shots was sitting in front of us. Then Jack noticed a little girl behind us. The mom recognized us from the doctor's office--when getting Elli an allergy shot. A family sat next to Marjorie--they were friends of a friend. Two rows back, one of the students Marjorie accompanies for music contests sat down. After the concert, we said hello to the band director who is a member of our parish. One of my confirmands said hello as he walked by--a 6th grade drummer.

That is community. It was good.

5 comments :

  1. 123 said...

    There's, like, 45k people on my block. I don't know any of them by name, almost none by face. Anonymity has its advantages.

  2. Wess Gray said...

    This is one of the things I love most about living in Enid.

  3. Unknown said...

    Me too! :-)

  4. Christopher D. Hall said...

    Anonymity does have advantages. It's taken me a long time to get used to the smallness factor, but at times like those, it was good. Of course, if you have something to hide, it's bad :)

    Christopher, don't you guys say that you are saved *in community*? :P

  5. 123 said...

    'In', but not 'as'. I wrote a little something the Ochlophobist referred to about living a sort of 'skete' life in the world where I am a part of a community for Sundays and Feasts, but otherwise go off on my own. 'Community' in Orthodoxy can often be code for 'ethnic group' or 'family', and since my family is not Orthodox (except for my baby) and I am not 'ethnically Orthodox'...

    Since I am extremely humble - perhaps the most humble, ever - I prefer to keep myself hidden in the crowd. :)