Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Ceaseless Mercy of God

I can look at my own life and see any number of places where events could have turned on the spot in such a manner to have changed the entire course of my life for the worse. On the one hand it says that in certain times in my life I sailed a little close to the edge (this is true). But it also says that despite my own efforts to damn my soul, God saved me. And this is the witness of Scripture, that “while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” –Fr. Stephen Freeman (link here)

I believe we all have such times and I fear for those who, recounting their lives, do not see places where they were on the brink of personal disaster. How could one then give thanks for God’s grace in preserving us? Needless to say, some of us have gone over the edge at times, and yet found God’s hand restoring us, catching us and “putting our feet upon the rock” (Psa. 40).

Though it seems chilling to write it, I believe there are more times of such spiritual danger than we ever realize, being borne about by angels and the mercy of God alone, moment by moment being saved from utter destruction and disaster.

“For ‘In him we live and move and have our being’” (Acts 17:28)

0 comments :