Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Rhetorics in the Second Grade

On the way to school several days ago, my daughter asked me who I was voting for. I told her McCain. She asked why I was not voting for Obama. I tried to tell her, in 2nd grade terms, that despite good qualities in Obama, and despite some of the positions of his party, that I cannot in good conscience vote for someone who is in favor of abortion. I don't like it, but I am a single-issue voter for now.

I had to explain abortion to her.

The next day she told my wife and I, "Grace at school wanted to vote for Obama, but I asked her, 'Grace, don't you love babies?' She said she did. Then I said, 'Well, Obama thinks killing babies is good. You don't want to vote for a baby killer, do you?' And guess what? She's not voting for Obama anymore!"

That killed me, in her Seven-year-old earnestness: "Don't you love babies?"

I had to re-explain to her that Obama himself is not a murderer. That Obama doesn't actually do this himself, and that "baby killer" is not the most helpful way of describing him.

But what a rhetorician!

Pray for America. Vote your conscience. God Bless America.

3 comments :

  1. Rev. Eric J Brown said...

    A theologian of the cross calls a thing what it is.

  2. Dixie said...

    Beautiful story! Is it any wonder Jesus says, "Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it." I am with you...I have dubbed myself a rabid pro-lifer. As an issue...the economy pales in comparison.

    Thank you for sharing this with us.

  3. Omaha Painters said...

    Great rreading