Monday, August 25, 2008

Working Out Again

Several years ago my doctor told me my cholesterol was high--like 230 high. He told me to eat better and exercise more, as he didn't want me taking cholesterol medications for the next 40 years, if I lived that long.

Now, I'm a skinny guy and never had any major problems, so this surprised me. I got a membership at the YMCA and started going. After six weeks I'd lowered my cholesterol to 180. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the exercise regimen didn't last. Time marched on. Last January, Marjorie realized that I was regularly arriving at work at 7:40 after dropping the kiddos off at school (they like to eat breakfast there) and suggested I go to the Y before work. I managed that well until school let out for the summer.

Now that they're all out of the house again, I've started back. It's amazing how much better I feel in the mornings already. I still arrive at my study before 9:00--later than I normally like, but energized enough that I don't miss the early start I could be getting.

Granted, it's not up to my Rogue Warrior ;) days, but I'm on the right track again.

6 comments :

  1. William Weedon said...

    UGH. Cindi and I were just talking about that this morning. I NEED to start this again, but I don't want to start my day by getting up at 5 and driving to the Y (and that's when it would have to fit in if it's at the start). I'm thinking maybe an afternoon time would work better into the schedule? Cindi tells me you write it in just like any other appointment and don't allow other appointments to push it out of the way, barring an emergency. Dr.'s appointment coming up in October and I KNOW he'll say the same thing (he was making noises last year already...).

  2. Christopher D. Hall said...

    I tried scheduling in the afternoons and found that too many things came up; it was too easy to cancel and often felt guilty about leaving in the middle of the afternoon to do it. But it may work for you.

  3. Orianna Laun said...

    Those doctors--they're always going on about such matters. I hope you can stick to it.
    Just remember: when you take a stress test and it comes out positive, you know you have trouble! :)

  4. Anonymous said...

    Pastor Hall... Are you a Marcinko reader? Somehow in middle school I read one of his books... and fell in love with them. Something about his brutal honesty....

  5. Christopher D. Hall said...

    Sam, Yeah, I read the first one at Seminary, then most of the others, though I don't know how I ran into it. A friend read them too, and we would work out at 6am at the Sem weight room. That was as rogue as I ever was, though. Pretty lame compared to Marcinko.

  6. Pastor Sharp said...

    You need a Swim Buddy.