Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Funny Quote

It's impossible, I think, for the devils to forget to drag me down to hell with their hooks when I die. Then I wonder- hooks? Where would they get them? What of? Iron hooks? Where do they forge them? Have they a foundry there of some sort? The monks in the monastery probably believe that there's a ceiling in hell, for instance. Now I'm ready to believe in hell, but without a ceiling. It makes it more refined, more enlightened, more Lutheran that is. (The Brothers Karamazov; Bk. 1, Ch. 4)

5 comments :

  1. Cha said...

    Pssst ...
    You're reading The Brothers Karamazov?

    Do you not fear that some will be McThreatened by this?

    :-)

  2. William Weedon said...

    I suspect Orrologion is the more likely origin... :)

  3. Christopher D. Hall said...

    Yeah, I'm re-reading it, so I did find it all on my own, Bill.

    What's funny is that I read it my freshmen year in college, I think, partly because I knew that Dostoevsky was a Christian, and this is a "great Christian novel," and partly because it was very intellectual and liberal (in the philosophical sense) to read Dostoevsky. But because of this last idiotic reason, I missed so much. It's almost like reading a different novel this time.

    Now that I know a little about Orthodoxy, it is also very illuminating...I know what the author is talking about, at least a little.

  4. William Weedon said...

    Utterly amazing that you both posted it the same day. Perhaps he picked it up from another place you posted it. I have never been able to keep the characters (with the multitudinous names) straight in his writings...

  5. Christopher D. Hall said...

    Oh, now I see it on his blog..and he gave me a hat tip. Mystery solved!