Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Church or Something Else?

Doorman receives an "A" for the assignment. The rest of you will have a one day extension in order not to fail.

But the point of the exercise was: those blogs have nothing to do with Church. Oh, they talk about their church enough, about the ministry all the time, but there was little about Christ, about the Holy Trinity, about prayer, fasting, almsgiving, about Sacraments and Scripture.

As Doorman gently reminded, it is obvious the intent is different. I have my own hidden agendas (we all do), yet one cannot talk about ministry without reference to what we minister: Sacrament and the Life of Christ. St. Paul wrote, "Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God." (KJV)

I find it disturbing that these church leaders and "lead pastors" (is that like a lead guitarist?) speak only of their churches in business, sociological and/or Rolling Stone terms.

Well, actually I don't find it disturbing. I find it revealing of their heart and intent. And that is disturbing.

2 comments :

  1. Emily H. said...

    Come on, do I at least get a passing grade? ;P

    That was a distressing assignment, btw. I don't read those sorts of blogs - it was an eye-opener. Seeing the true intentions of their hearts is disturbing but glory be to God for allowing us to not be blinded by them.

  2. Christopher D. Hall said...

    I gave you an "A" on the previous post. See, not even a demerit for being late. :)

    I'm glad that you found it distressing, though it looks funny to type that.