Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Fall From Grace

The news out of New York saddens me. I've posted before on the prominent falling into sin, yet scandals never seem to end.

We can ask ourselves, "What was he thinking!" I'm sure he's asking himself the same question. The ironies in the case abound. He famously gave a speech early in his run for Governor that under his government, the days of scandal-screaming headlines would go away. Would that it have. "Mr. Clean," he was called. Sort of like David, a man after the Lord's heart (1 Sam. 13:14; Acts. 13:22). Sort of like me. Sort of like all of us.

It may be easy to wag our fingers, to shake our heads incredulously, to consider such a willful sin, such a willful violation of law as beneath us, or beyond our ken. But it is not. The human heart is full of dragons and has many secret places. No thing is beyond our capability in this fallen state. Proverbs reminds us, "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." (Pro. 16:18 KJV).

I mourn for Spitzer and how much he has lost. In all the news coverage I haven't heard if he is religious, so I pray that he may find forgiveness and comfort in our Lord of Sinners. And I pray for all of us, that God would stop our hand from such scandalous sin and preserve us.

0 comments :