Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Begin with Prayer and See What Happens

At Bible Study a few days ago someone asked me a difficult question about the relationship between intentional good works and Jesus' statement to remain ignorant of what we do--"But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing" (Matt. 6:3).

My answer was to pray and pray before anything else. Even as I said it, it sounded like a cop-out to me, an easy excuse. Pastor doesn't know how to answer, so he just says "Pray!" and weasels out of another jam. I don't believe anyone besides me actually thought this. But I did. How do we do good works, but not place our faith in them? How do we help the needy, yet be ignorant of what we do? How do I bear fruit but not take pride in them? It must all start with prayer, which is to say a faith that calls upon the Lord often.

Life begun with prayer and continued with prayer will yield its fruits. If we are so occupied with prayer, perhaps our hands will help, our mouths will praise without our even knowing it. Perhaps if pray is upon our heart, we will confess our sin and glorify God for His mercy even as we give our offerings and sacrifice for our family, our congregation, our neighbor.

1 comments :

  1. Anastasia Theodoridis said...

    To begin and end with prayer is always appropriate advice, isn't it?

    Here's further advice I've been given:

    How do we do good works, but not place our faith in them?

    By remembering that (1) They are never enough, (2) They are hardly ever all THAT good, either, if we examine the mixed motives, (3) works couldn't disarm the devil, smash open hell, or open the doors of heaven. Only Christ could and did, (4) Good works, like anything else except Christ, eventually fail us.

    How do we help the needy, yet be ignorant of what we do?

    Can't. Let's face that. But we can put the counsel into practice by at least not letting anyone else know.

    How do I bear fruit but not take pride in them?

    By being realistic. Even a moderate dose of realism about my wretched condition ought to protect me from taking pride in any fruit God and I together might bear.

    So I've been told.