Thursday, September 13, 2007

Living As a Disciple

We're called to live as disciples of the Kingdom, not as average Americans.

We are called to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, not in seeking first a "normal" life. As Christians we know the foolishness of "keeping up with the Jones'," at least until we have to sell our house and we realize that the Jones' have new cabinets and granite, and well, maybe I'm not selling my house today, but if I do a little right now, then when the time comes it will already be updated...

We are to live as disciples of the Kingdom, and not as average Americans. I'm going to repeat this phrase until I get it.

3 comments :

  1. Dixie said...

    Keep repeating it loud enough for me to hear, too! And be louder than those granite countertops calling my name!

    Honestly though, we have never been good about updating the house for our living in it. Usually my handyman husband has to do major upgrades in the short time right before we put our house on the market and the new owners get the benefit of his labors. Once I order new carpet for 60% of the house (doing a 70's shag carpet extraction) and before it arrived from the factory my company decided to relocate us! The house sold in 3 days...with all the new carpeting...sigh.

    However, it has been 8.5 years since we have been in this house. The house is 11 years old...and just two week agos we finished the project of painting the great room. The original cheapy, chalky, unwashable, new house paint still lingers on the walls in the rest of the house...although the foyer and kitchen are due for new paint next.

    ...but I keep saying "no" to those granite countertops even though I really want to say "yes". Someday, I fear, however, my resistance will weaken just in time for the new owners to enjoy them!!!

    Seriously...your point is well taken and it is something I have tried to take to heart for a while now...sometimes more successfully than others. I still have a special weakness for things technological...

  2. Doorman-Priest said...

    Now I'm not American. Can I play too?

    Pax
    D.P. (11.59am GMT0

  3. Christopher D. Hall said...

    They are pretty, aren't they Dixie? Yet, remember what was pretty in 1977? That keeps it in perspective for me. As for the doodads, my wife calls me "Gadget Boy" (I prefer Gadget Man). I think that says enough :)

    And Doorman.. yes, non Americans are allowed to play.